Sunday, September 6, 2009

AMARAVATHI AMARALINGESWARA SWAMY TEMPLE AND BUDDIST MONUMENTS

  .Amaravathi in Guntur district is on the Krishna river coast.
The temple has a high structure and the Shiva linga is two floors high. In the second floor also, the archakas have climbed over ladders on either side to do the abhishekam.
Then I went over to see the Buddist Monuments.  Notable is the stupa structure that is a huge circular one.  some diety sculpture s of Budda are located at the entrance and at the centre of the stupa.
I was hardly 14 years old at that time and it made tremondous impact on my thoughts and gave rise to the foundation to my interest in visiting historical places and temples. i also the museumof the Buddist stupa that are moved from the site into the safe exhibtion area of museum.

Background of visit : My eldest sister Venkata subbamma used to stay in Kanchekacherla near Nadigama on the Vijayawada - Hyderabad highway during my college days. So I visited Kanchekacherla two times.  First time my brother-in-law took me from Vijayawada by Launch (machined boat). We took launch from a place     back to the hill of Kankadurga temple.  Jouney by lauch  took an hour or two.
Opposite to Kanchekacherla on the other side of the river Amaralingeswara swmay temple is visible from my sister's residence. During my return journey to Chirala  I visited Amaravathi.

No comments:

Post a Comment