Sunday, September 6, 2009

PENUGONDA DURGAM NEAR PUUTAPARTHI ANANTHAPURAM

I visited penugonda during my 3 days stay at Sri Satya Sai Ashram Puttaparthi.  I went by bus in the early morning 6 am. and reahed Penugonda at 7 am.  I went by walk in the area that is at the foot of the fort about 1.5 kms and saw no. of small temples of vijayanagara period.  I didnot go up the hill to see the fort ans they warned me theat Chenchulu vallu may rob us if we are alone.  Only a group of 4 or more should venture to go up the hill.
Like Hampi there is Hawa mahal towards the edge of the pengonda kota village one single road adjacent to the fort area.  entrance looks like fort only.  then there is a storey that mahamantri thimmarusu was kept in jail here in penugonda fort jail and his eyes were removed as he supported his son who has declared himself as independent  king of the Jamin that he was looking after.  I have not seen the cinema    MAHAMANTRI THIMMARUSU BY NT RAMA RAO/  It is said that the details are shown in that films.I have come across a photo of the Jail in which  Mahamantri Thimmarusu was kept and his eyes are removed for allegedly posioning the son of Krishnadevaraya as the cunning Bahamani sultans actually killed the Yuvaraja and thrown the blame on Thimmarusu.  Later Krishnadevraya realised the truth and the storey of Krishnadevaraya has almost ended just with 20 years rule.  It is given in the wickipedia that blinded thimarusu didnot accept the patronage of Krishnadevaraya again and lived begging near Thirupathi temple and died as a beggar.


By 9 am I have returned back and had Darshan of Sri Satya Sai Bhagwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment